Prince was very private and somewhat of an introvert. He rarely did interviews and much of his life remained a beautiful mystery.
Here are ten things you may not have known about Prince.
1. Prince was very charitable. He supported the Elton John AIDS Foundation by attending the singer’s annual Academy Awards Viewing Party, and was once voted PETA’s sexiest vegetarian.
2. Prince had several nicknames. He’s been called The Kid, The Purple Purv, The Minneapolis Midget, Alexander Nevermind, Christopher Tracy and The Artist Formerly Known As Prince. His real name was Prince Rogers Nelson and when he was a kid he was known as Skipper.
3. Prince became a Jehovah Witness in 1997. Because of that, he refused to sing sexual songs like “Darling Nikki” or ” Little Red Corvette”.
4. “Too many hits!” Prince was often quoted in concert saying he had too many hits. Prince wrote more songs than The Beatles, with a back catalog that expands to over 600 tracks.
5. Purple Rain was a huge hit! Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’ film pulled in an almighty $68,392,977 and only cost $7 million to make.
6. His favorite meal was spaghetti and orange juice.
8. Prince was sued by a family member. His half-sister Lorna Nelson sued him in 1989 claiming that she wrote the lyrics for “U Got the Look,” but after a court battle, a judge sided with Prince.
9. NBA player Carlos Boozer was actually Prince’s landlord in 2006. Boozer ended up having to sue the Purple God for painting his symbol on the home’s exterior and installing monogrammed carpeting.
10. Prince won an Oscar. He won an Oscar for Purple Rain in the category of Best Original Score and a Golden Globe in 2007 for “The Song of the Heart” from the Happy Feet soundtrack.
Bonus: He once performed on stage with Michael Jackson and James Brown.