Thursday, just before 9 p.m., paramedics were called to the center at 1738 W. 49th St. in Hialeah for a female patient who had lost consciousness and was not breathing, according to Hialeah Police.
Ranika Hall was taken to the hospital where she was declared dead an hour later.
“Unbelievable like it’s not true,” Hall said about her daughter’s death. “It’s hard for me to grasp a hold of it.”
Family says they can’t afford to come to town and are arranging to bring her body home from there. Hall also wants to know why her daughter died.
“I know it’s supposed to be a common procedure,” Hall said. “I’m looking for answers.”
Many people go to Eres because of its lower prices.
The procedure is advertised on Eres’s website as costing $3,500 and includes 12 areas of liposuction.
That same procedure costs almost three times more at another popular surgeon’s office and would only come with two areas of lipo.
The Hialeah surgery center is the same location where Heather Meadows, 29, died in May 2016. Meadows also had the Brazilian Butt Lift procedure.
32-year-old Nikisha Lewis died at Spectrum last week after traveling to Miami from Antigua.
An NBC 6 investigation has uncovered the deaths of 11 women after plastic surgery since 2010. Most of those deaths involved Brazilian Butt Lifts. Centers are required to report the deaths to the state, but there is no easy way for the public to find out if a death has happened at a facility.
The NBC 6 investigation sparked a worldwide study into the procedure. Doctors with the Aesthetic Surgery Education and Research Foundation formed a task force and did a voluntary survey of doctors around the world. The survey found that a patient is 20 times more likely to die of a Brazilian Butt Lift than any other cosmetic surgery procedure.
In what’s commonly known as a BBL, where fat is taken from a person’s stomach or back and injected into her backside to make it more plump and full.
When there is a death, it’s caused by what’s known as a fat embolism, where fat enters the blood stream and is sent to the lungs and a patient can stop breathing.
Ranika’s mother started a GoFundMe.